Thursday, March 5, 2009

Back In The Saddle Again



Late Sunday afternoon I was taking a nap. I'd had a migraine all weekend, and felt something awful. While I was sleeping, someone started tapping on my bedroom window. At first I thought it was Mindy, and I yelled for her to knock it off. The tapping got louder, and I started to worry. As I peeked out of the blinds, I saw Rick sitting on Snowy. I was SO jealous.



I grabbed my pants, stumbling as I rushed to put them on. Then I snatched the camera, and ran outside. I wasn't sure if Rick had just ended his ride or was just setting off, and I didn't want to miss at least taking a picture of him riding Snowy. I hadn't been on a horse since November 24, 2008. It felt like forever to me. Anyway, as I got outside, huffing and puffing, Snowy and Rick had disappeard. I sat down on the stairs and took a couple of pictures of Scamper.

Rick rode up a few minutes later. "Rick!" I yelled excitedly, "please let me ride Snowy." I thought it would be rude to ask him to saddle up Scamper after he was finished riding Snowy.

"What?" Rick exclaimed. "You're in your slippers!" But I didn't care. Rick's stirrups are much lower than mine, so I had quite a time pulling my leg over Snowy's big rump, but I did it. In slippers, no less, I was not about to give up.

As I climbed on to the saddle, I felt such joy rush through me. It felt so good to be sitting on a horse! I laughed out loud. Unfortunately, I couldn't get Snowy to move because I couldn't really kick him to "go" in slippers, and my feet couldn't reach the stirrups. I talked Rick in to walking me around the yard. I know I must have been quite a sight to the neighbors; I had no makeup on, didn't even bother to brush my hair, and sat on Snowy while Rick walked me around. I didn't care one bit. I giggled the whole way. It. Was. So. Much. Fun.

Mindy came and took some pictures of us as I rode around. Poor Scamper was very upset to see me riding Snowy. At first she trotted around the pen, but pretty soon she was bucking and galloping and making a lot of noise. How dare I ride Snowy? Like I said, I saw the opportunity and I took it.





The picture I am posting is a terrible picture of me ... but I had to post it anyway, because as you can see, I was just so darn happy.


3 comments:

2Again Now said...

I LOVE THAT PICTURE!!!!!!!!!!!! You are so happy!!!!

Anonymous said...

Take joy when it comes! Good for you and that picture is worth so much!

Amber said...

I love it!